Sante? Bratessani emigrated from Parma in the 1870s, one of the first wave of Italian families to settle in the city. In 1889 he opened Edinburgh’s first ever fish and chip shop on Church Lane, Stockbridge.
When Sante enlisted with the Italian army during the First World War, the shop was kept going by his wife. He survived the war, and upon returning to Edinburgh opened a new outlet – the Deep Sea – on Union Place. Following the demolition of Union Place in 1970, the Deep Sea moved to Antigua Street where it remains to this day.
Eventually this shop was sold on to fellow fish and chip restaurateurs, the Crolla family.
The name of the present owner has yet to be identified.